SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Highest ranking officer cleared in Freddie Gray death

A Baltimore police officer has been cleared over the death of a black man in a police van which triggered rioting in the city last year.

Baltimore Police Lt. Brian Rice
A Baltimore police officer has been cleared over the 2015 death of a black man in a police van. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A Maryland judge has acquitted Baltimore police Lieutenant Brian Rice of involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and misconduct in office for the April 2015 death of black detainee Freddie Gray.

Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams handed down his verdict on Monday after a bench trial.

Rice, 42, is the highest-ranking officer charged in Gray's death from a broken neck suffered in a police transport van.

Gray's death triggered protests and rioting in the mainly black city and stoked a national debate about how police treat minorities. The controversy flared anew this month with the deaths of African-American men at the hands of police in Minnesota and Louisiana.

Monday's verdict is the latest setback for prosecutors, who have failed to secure a conviction in the trials of four officers thus far.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Rice, who is white, ordered two officers on bicycles to chase Gray, 25, when he fled unprovoked in a high-crime area.

Prosecutors said Rice was negligent in shackling Gray's legs and not securing him in a seat belt, as required by department protocol.

But defence lawyers said Rice was allowed leeway on whether to get inside a van to secure a prisoner. The officer made a correct decision in a few seconds while Gray was being combative and a hostile crowd was looking on, they said.

Williams, who heard the case without a jury at Rice's request, said prosecutors failed to show the lieutenant was aware of a departmental policy requiring seat belts for prisoners during transport.

"The state did not prove the defendant was aware of the new policy," the judge said in court.

Only a handful of protesters were at the courthouse for the verdict's announcement.

Williams previously acquitted Officers Edward Nero and Caesar Goodson Jr., the van's driver. A third officer, William Porter, faces a retrial after a jury deadlocked.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world