SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Hodge and Hawks all about development

Former Hawthorn captain Luke Hodge has cautioned against anyone thinking the AFL powerhouse is back after a win over Melbourne.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

It's a topsy-turvy AFL season when anything is possible, but Hawthorn appear not to be thinking about finals football.

The decade's dominant side recorded a second win of the season on Sunday, edging Melbourne by three points at the MCG.

In doing so, the Hawks played their part in a remarkable round where every winning side were ranked lower than their opponents.

Hawthorn (2-5) sit two wins outside the eight and have a golden chance to improve their record against wooden spoon favourites Brisbane (1-6) on Saturday.

But given the scale of their defeats this season, club legend Luke Hodge was loath to suggest the Hawks would starting a winning streak.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Considering last week was a 75-point loss, it's a bit hard (to say we've turned the corner)," Hodge told reporters on Monday.

"We're at this stage where it's about developing.

"It's good that we're able to blood a few younger guys (and) we're still (blooding in) blokes in from other sides.

"There's a lot of work to do."

Hodge said it would be folly to lock in a win over Brisbane despite their winless run dating back to the opening weekend of the season.

"If you look at the ladder we're not too much higher than them," he said.

"The AFL will be rapt with how the footy is going at the moment.

"If a team's a little bit off, they can get beaten. I wouldn't have had too many tips (right) on the weekend."

Key recruit Jaeger O'Meara wasn't able to play against the Demons, with the club confirming he needs an extending training run to treat his knee.

Hodge said the 23-year-old - who has suffered debilitating knee injuries in the past - could take his time away from the side.

"From what we're hearing from (fitness boss) Andrew Russell and Jaeger it's not his old issues," he said.

"It was a knock that he copped (in) the Suns game.

"We're in no rush with Jaeger.

"It's not about getting him on the park, it's about getting his body right and getting his mind right."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world