Hotel reimbursed $37,000 for Abbott rooms

The government paid out $37,000 to a Torres Strait Island hotel that suffered losses when room bookings were cancelled for Tony Abbott's visit.

Taxpayers forked out tens of thousands of dollars to a Torres Strait hotel left out of pocket when the government cancelled bookings for Tony Abbott's trip to the region.

The Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet has confirmed it paid out $37,000 to the Jardine Hotel, which claimed it lost $53,000 in bookings immediately before the former prime minister's visit in August.

Department first assistant secretary Caroline Edwards admitted the hotel had been given notice very late, but argued the cancellation payment was "a lot less" than the cost and reasonable in the circumstances.

Ms Edwards said as soon as the department had become aware of the losses claimed by Jardine, a senior officer was appointed to come to a "reasonable accommodation".

The department weighed up the disadvantage suffered against the "prudent" use of public money in determining the payout figure.

However, the department maintains no formal bookings were made throughout the reservation process.

"But an expectation had arisen," Ms Edwards said.

The Thursday Island hotel claimed 33 rooms were cancelled, at a cost of about $220 per night.

Owner Steve Mills at the time said he'd had to turn away other visitors.


2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world