SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Hurt Knight Snowden nears NRL retirement

Amid fears he will be unable to recover from his latest injury battles, Newcastle prop Kade Snowden might have played his last NRL game.

Kade Snowden of the Knights
A neck injury has forced Newcastle forward Kade Snowden into retirement from the NRL. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Newcastle prop Kade Snowden might have played his last NRL game, amid fears he will be unable to recover from his latest battle with injury.

The 29-year-old has not been sighted since being dropped from the side following a 29-minute outing in the club's season-opener against Gold Coast.

According to Fox Sports News, Snowden is battling chronic back, neck and knee injuries that could now force him into early retirement, just two months into a two-year contract extension with the Knights.

In a brief statement on Thursday evening, Newcastle said: "Kade is seeking medical advice regarding his injury and at the appropriate time the club and/or Kade will give an update."

Coach Nathan Brown had previously said Snowden was a long way from NRL standard.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I've had a good long chat to him and he is pretty honest, Snowy. He is as aware as anyone of where he is at, form-wise at the moment, and what he needs to do," Brown said in February.

"But we probably see it being more of a benefit right now for him to be still around the young blokes and around the team just with his experience."

The former NSW State of Origin and Kangaroos representative has played 175 games across 12 seasons in first grade with Cronulla and Newcastle.

He made his debut with the Knights in 2005 and spent four seasons in the Shire, before being brought back home in 2012 during the failed Nathan Tinkler era.

He played two games for NSW and one Test for Australia.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world