SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

I'm just Wayne: Bennett defends approach

Wayne Bennett has offered an olive branch to Mal Meninga but is still not impressed with the way the Kangaroos job had been decided.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Wayne Bennett says he doesn't have a problem with Mal Meninga, but he appears to have a major beef with the way the Australian Rugby League Commission decided on the new Kangaroos coach.

Not that he would elaborate further.

The seven-time premiership coach has tried to clear the air after a tumultuous tenure as England coach ahead of Sunday's must-win Four Nations clash against Meninga's Australia in London.

Bennett again bristled at critics claiming he did not promote the game, but claimed he had had peace talks with Meninga after the Roos coach's controversial News Corp column.

Meninga accused Bennett of undermining him and refusing to move on after missing out on the Kangaroos job.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Bennett claimed he was still friends with Meninga after a Wednesday chat but still seemed miffed with how the Roos job was appointed.

"In the end with the Roos job where I was at a different place was the process they went through in the end," Bennett told Fox Sports TV.

"Which I thought was, I have to be careful what type of word I use, anyway when that was over I moved on.

"It (Kangaroos process) is a story worth telling one day but I am not going to tell it today."

Asked if he had undermined Meninga, Bennett said: "No."

Asked if he respected Meninga, Bennett replied: "I always have.

"I've got quite a good relationship with Mal, I spent some time with him yesterday (Wednesday) - it's all good."

Pressed, Bennett said: "I am not going further with the conversation here - it's not me or Mal.

"I have always been friends with him, nothing's changed from my point of view."

Bennett also took another swing at critics claiming he did not promote the game in England.

Bennett's abrupt, monosyllabic sideline interviews have earned the ire of the UK press, with the likes of TV expert and former Wales boss Iestyn Harris accusing the 65-year-old of being disrespectful.

He defended his stance during a mid-week team press conference but elaborated further ahead of England's crunch clash.

"I am just Wayne. I have been getting that criticism for some 38 years now," he said.

"I'm over here, five weeks away from my home ... I don't know how they work out that I'm not promoting the game.

"I mean the critics are sitting at home in the lounge rooms in Australia drinking their wine and I'm out here at the coal face getting the job done."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world