SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

I'm not leaving the Lions: Tom Rockliff

Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff has hit out at speculation he could leave the AFL club amid stalled contract talks with the Lions.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff is disappointed at speculation about his future, saying he won't be leaving the AFL club.

The star midfielder last month revealed contract talks between himself and the club had stalled, with the Lions unwilling to accept a reported five-year, $800,000 per season contract proposal from his management.

The Victorian has also recently been linked with St Kilda, but he has poured cold water on speculation of a move.

"I'm contracted until 2017. I'm captain of the footy club. I've been here since 2009," Rockliff told RSN radio on Wednesday.

"I really enjoy it here ... I can't see myself leaving."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The 26-year-old blamed media reports for over-hyping his potential Queensland exit after he last month said he couldn't come to an agreement with the club on "numbers and years".

"It's disappointing that it's playing out in the media," he said on Wednesday.

"I think it was a good lesson for me just to give (the media) a mundane answer and say it's between my manager and the club.

"It just spiralled out of control."

Rockliff also hosed down rumours that talented youngster Lewis Taylor is on his way out, with reports the rising star had requested the club pay him around $500,000 a year.

"He's happy up here. He fits in really well with the group," Rockliff said.

"That's for him to decide his future but all the signals I get from him is that he enjoys his time up here.

"I can't really see him leaving."

Brisbane's issues with player retention are well-known, with the club waving goodbye to Jack Redden (West Coast), Jared Polec (Port Adelaide), Jack Crisp (Collingwood) and Sam Docherty (Carlton) in recent years.

But the club has recruited well over the past three seasons, adding experienced players Tom Bell, Dayne Beams, Allen Christensen and Ryan Bastinac to its list.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world