SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Indonesia to execute up to 15 people

Indonesian police say they are making preparations to execute up to 15 drug offenders.

executions
A paramilitary police officer is seen at the port opposite Nusakambagan Island Prison near Cilacap, Java, Indonesia, Wednesday, April 29, 2015. Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Up to 15 drug offenders will face the firing squad in the next round of executions in Indonesia, police say.

Despite increased speculation and concern about when the executions will to take place and how many will be killed, the country's attorney-general is refusing to confirm any details.

Central Java Provincial Police spokesman Liliek Darmanto told AAP this week they were planning to execute 15 people possibly "in the middle of this month".

It was a message reiterated by national police spokesman Agus Rianto, who said they had been told to prepare for executions.

However he could not confirm the number was 15.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Attorney-general spokesman Amir Yanto has said "the time and the number (of people to be executed) ... has not been determined yet."

Amnesty International says it's appalled to learn three prisoners on death row have been moved to Nusakambangan prison island over the weekend.

Nusakambangan was where Australians Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan, as well as six other men, were executed by firing squad on April 29 last year.

The relocated prisoners were sentenced to death in 2007 for attempting to smuggle benzodiazepine pills from Malaysia.

"The death penalty is a cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment that has no place in today's justice system," Amnesty International crisis campaigns co-ordinator Diana Sayed said in a statement on Wednesday.

Security Minister Luhut Panjaitan has said he doesn't want to see a repeat of the "drama" which occurred ahead of the Australians' executions last year, in which intense foreign media attention and diplomatic pressure was placed on Indonesia.

He has said the law stipulated Indonesia only needed to give three days' notice as to when an execution would take place.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world