SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Inglis spoke to Bellamy about Storm return

Greg Inglis has revealed he seriously considered re-signing with Melbourne or joining Brisbane before committing his future to South Sydney.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Greg Inglis sounded out Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy about a shock return to the Storm before re-signing with South Sydney, the Kangaroos centre has revealed.

Rabbitohs skipper Inglis last week recommitted to Souths until the end of 2020.

But not before he seriously considered a move back to the Storm or to Brisbane, the club he initially intended to join after exiting Melbourne at the end of 2010 before joining Souths.

The 29-year-old Inglis made his NRL debut at the Storm under Bellamy as an 18-year-old and was keen to link with his former mentor.

"Brisbane was a genuine thought, I even thought about Melbourne," Inglis said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I rang Craig up and had a few chats about heading back down south but I couldn't be happier that my future is settled."

Inglis' wife Sally gave birth to their second child daughter Quinn Sybella on Monday. The Queensland star said he his family's desire to stay in Sydney held sway.

"We have two kids now so we had to think about what's best for them," he said.

"Our oldest one is two, so by the contract finishes up he'll be starting school.

"We'd been in talks since coming out of the Origin series. I'm glad it's finally done and my future's settled for the next four years. I know I'll be in Sydney and my family is happy."

Despite an ongoing knee problem he will have to manage until the end of his career, Inglis will stay at fullback for Souths, resisting a move to the centres.

He played at fullback, five-eighth and centre for Souths during their disappointing 2016 season.

"It was one of those years where you could play around with positions," he said

"We never really had concrete spots and that throws the whole side out.

"Save my legs and knees? I don't think so. I've got four years left in the game so I want to give it everything I've got. I'd like to be staying at fullback. I think it's best for the side and for myself."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world