Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Injured Mane named to play in Senegal's World Cup ties next month

DAKAR (Reuters) - Sadio Mane was named in Senegal's 25-man squad on Wednesday for their final World Cup qualifiers next month, even though his club Liverpool said last week the winger would be out for up to six weeks.

Injured Mane named to play in Senegal's World Cup ties next month
(Reuters)

Senegal, who need two points to qualify for next year's finals in Russia, play South Africa away in Polokwane on Nov. 10 and then at home in Dakar on Nov. 14.

"Sadio Mane has resumed individual training and will probably resume full training next week," Senegal coach Aliou Cisse told a news conference.

Mane hurt his hamstring in Senegal's last Group D game -- a 2-0 away win over the Cape Verde Islands on Oct. 7, after which Liverpool said the injury "could keep him out of action for up to six weeks."

Senegal have stuck with the same squad that beat the Cape Verdians, including West Ham United striker Diafra Sakho who returned to the national team and scored in the victory in Praia.

However, there was once again no recall for Stoke City's Mame Biram Diouf.

(Reporting by Mark Gleeson; Editing by Christian Radnedge)


1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world