SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

IOC to cooperate with Rio ticket probe

The IOC says it will cooperate with Brazilian authorities in the ticket scalping investigation targeting Irish executive board member Patrick Hickey.

1 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) says it will cooperate with Brazilian authorities in the ticket scalping investigation targeting one of its executive board members.

Patrick Hickey, president of Ireland's national Olympic committee, was among 10 people charged by Brazilian prosecutors on Tuesday with ticket scalping, conspiracy and ambush marketing in the case that broke during last month's Rio de Janeiro Games.

Police investigator Aloysio Falcao says authorities want to speak with IOC President Thomas Bach about email exchanges between him and Hickey related to ticket allocations.

However, Bach cancelled plans to attend Wednesday's opening of the Paralympics in Rio. The IOC said he would be in Germany for the official state mourning ceremony for former West German President Walter Scheel.

The IOC has told AP it cannot comment on the legal case against Hickey but adds "for the IOC, it goes without saying that it will cooperate on this matter".


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world