SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Islamist group calls for Hollande killing

A militant Islamist web site with ties to al-Qaeda, says it wants Muslims to stage attacks in France and on French interests elsewhere.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A jihadist group has repeated its calls for French president Francois Hollande's assassination in revenge for French interventions in Africa, terrorist monitoring group SITE says.

The al-Minbar Jihadi Media Network, a militant Islamist web site with ties to al-Qaeda, says it wants Muslims to stage attacks in France and on French interests elsewhere in support of Muslims in Central African Republic and Mali.

"Supporting them is an easy matter for every honest and loyal person, because the embassies of France fill the lands of the Muslims, not to mention the lions of our Ummah who live in the West," it said in a message introducing the latest campaign on Sunday, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.

On its online forum, it posted 22 posters, a video, an article, and a poem, adding to the campaign it began earlier this month urging terror attacks in France and for Hollande's killing.

"To our lone wolves in France, assassinate the president of disbelief and criminality, terrify his cursed government, and bomb them and scare them as a support to the vulnerable in the Central African Republic," the March 9 message read.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Neither Hollande, nor his soldiers will know peace in France as long as the Muslims of Mali and the Central African Republic cannot live properly in their country," it said.

Hollande responded at the time, saying "this is not the first time that there have been threats," and "we are extremely vigilant".

France sent in troops to Mali in January last year to drive out Islamist militants and Tuareg rebels who had taken control of the desert north.

Although their onslaught on the south, where the capital Bamako is located, was stopped, fighters loyal to Islamist groups still operate there and stage periodic attacks.

France has also sent around 2,000 troops to the Central African Republic in support of a 6,000-strong African Union peacekeeping mission following a wave of Muslim-Christian bloodletting in the aftermath of a coup.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world