Konta, Watson fly the flag for Britain

LONDON (Reuters) - British number one Johanna Konta took revenge on Hsieh Su-Wei at Wimbledon on Monday, sending the Taiwanese home 6-2 6-2 after losing to her in the first round at the French Open.

Konta, Watson fly the flag for Britain

(Reuters)





The sixth seed beat two grand slam champions in a day on the grass at last week's rain-interrupted Eastbourne tournament, so came in brimming with form, but had been an injury scare after a heavy fall forced her to withdraw from her semi-final.

But she appeared to be moving well in front of a cheering Court One crowd and told reporters she felt "absolutely fine".

"I was really just trying to stay as focused on what I was trying to do out there, and not necessarily get caught up in her web," the 26-year-old said of Hsieh, who had beaten her in three sets on the Paris clay.

With the women's field wide open in the absence of pregnant 2016 champion and 23-times grand slam winner Serena Williams, Konta is among the women being tipped for a run at the title -- 40 years after Briton Virginia Wade lifted the trophy in 1977.

If she were to achieve that, it would propel her to celebrity status in Britain, joining world number one and Wimbledon defending champion Andy Murray.

"I definitely would like to be involved here for the full fortnight to help, I guess, put tennis on the map that much more. But I think Andy's done a pretty tremendous job of doing that," she said.

Fellow Eastbourne semi-finalist Heather Watson, last year's Wimbledon mixed doubles champion with Henri Kontinen, also reached round two, beating Belgium's Maryna Zanevska 6-1 7-6(5) to the delight of the fans chanting her name on Court Two.

"I love being here. I think it's obvious. I always want to do well. If there's one tournament that I could pick to win, it would be this one," said wildcard Watson, the British number two and world 102.

"It's the most famous tournament in the world. It's amazing to be a part of. I always want to just do well here."

Watson plays Latvian 18th seed Anastasija Sevastova in round two. Konta will take on Croatia's Donna Vekic, who beat her in the final at the Nottingham grass court last month.





(Editing by Catherine Evans)


Share

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Download our apps
SBS News
SBS Audio
SBS On Demand

Listen to our podcasts
An overview of the day's top stories from SBS News
Interviews and feature reports from SBS News
Your daily ten minute finance and business news wrap with SBS Finance Editor Ricardo Gonçalves.
A daily five minute news wrap for English learners and people with disability
Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS
SBS World News

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service
Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world