SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Kurdish journalist gets conditional bail

A Kurdish journalist charged with being a member of a listed terrorist group has been granted conditional bail in a Sydney court.

Kurdish journalist Renas Lelikan
Kurdish journalist Renas Lelikan Source: Facebook

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Family and supporters have wept tears of joy after a Kurdish journalist, charged with being a member of a listed terrorist group, was granted bail by a Sydney judge.

Renas Lelikan, 38, appeared via video link in the NSW Supreme Court on Friday, when Justice Natalie Adams granted bail with conditions including the deposit of security for the payment of $1.5 million.

Supporters of Lelikan, who is accused of belonging to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), filled the court room to hear the outcome.

Justice Adams did not publish the reasons for her decision, giving both the crown and Lelikan's lawyer seven days in which to apply for them to be suppressed.

The case returns to Parramatta Local Court on November 24 but the judge agreed to his lawyer's request for Lelikan not to attend due to fears he may be targeted after his contact with IS members.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Conditions of the bail include Lelikan not applying for or obtaining a passport, reporting daily to police and a nightly curfew between 8pm and 8am.

He had been refused bail by a magistrate after his arrest in July.

The local court was told the Australian Federal Police seized more than 2000 emails with photos attached during raids in North Sydney and Dee Why.

Supporters cheered on the court steps after the decision on Friday, welcoming his expected release.

"It's a very pleasant moment for everybody and myself, I had tears in my eyes. It's just unbelievable," Australian Kurdish Association spokesman Brusk Aeiveri said.

Mr Aeiveri said Lelikan was not safe in prison and had faced threats from IS members because of his political views.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world