SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Kyrgios disappointed by Bernie no-show

Australian No.1 Nick Kyrgios says he can't see a reason why Bernard Tomic wouldn't play in their Davis Cup tie against the Czech Republic.

Australian tennis players Nick Kyrgios (L) and Bernard Tomic (R)
Nick Kyrgios (L) says he's disappointed Bernard Tomic (R) won't play in Australia's Davis Cup tie. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Nick Kyrgios says he's disappointed Bernard Tomic has made himself unavailable to play for Australia this week as their fractious Davis Cup relationship continues.

Ahead of their world group tie against the Czech Republic at Kooyong starting on Friday, Kyrgios said he hadn't spoken to Tomic but couldn't see any reason why Australia's No.2 wouldn't make himself available to play.

World No.65 Jordan Thompson has replaced Tomic in the Australian team.

"We're not going to beg guys to play but it's disappointing not having him here as there's no reason why he shouldn't be here," Kyrgios said on Tuesday.

At the same time last year it was Tomic's turn to give Kyrgios a serve, accusing him of "faking" illness to skip the first-round tie in Melbourne.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

World No.32 Tomic also questioned Kyrgios' ongoing commitment to Davis Cup, pointing to his withdrawal from their 2015 tie against the Czech Republic.

In response Australia's No.1 Kyrgios taunted Tomic on Twitter, referencing the Queenslander's 6-0 6-1 loss to Jarkko Nieminen in Miami in 2014.

"Let's not forget who holds the quickest loss on the ATP Tour lol," Kyrgios posted. "#howmanyminutesagain"

That tweet was later removed before Kyrgios followed up, saying that he wasn't going to "take it personally ... Just don't expect me to have your back anytime soon".

Tomic, who boasts a 17-4 win-loss record from 12 ties, said his withdrawal this time was due to scheduling issues although reports have surfaced of continued friction between the Tomic camp and Tennis Australia over funding for Tomic's younger sister Sara.

Kyrgios has a 4-3 win-loss record from five ties, making sporadic appearances since his debut in 2013.

After missing the 2015 first-round win over the Czech Republic in Ostrava, he was dropped for the reverse singles against Kazakhstan after losing to lowly-ranked Aleksandr Nedovyesov on day one in Darwin.

Kyrgios was then omitted from the semi-final against Great Britain in Glasgow following a turbulent month in the US punctuated by his unsavoury sledging of French Open champion Stan Wawrinka.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world