Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Lakers out of Davis trade talks: report

Anthony Davis has demanded an NBA trade away from the New Orleans Pelicans but it is reported that he won't be headed to the Los Angeles Lakers any time soon.

Anthony Davis
Anthony Davis (c) appears set to stay with the New Orleans Pelicans as trade talks stall. (AAP)

Los Angeles Lakers have informed the New Orleans Pelicans on Tuesday that they are pulling of trade talks for NBA star Anthony Davis, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Team president of basketball operations Magic Johnson told New Orleans general manager Dell Demps that the Lakers had made their best offer, the Times reported, citing a source not authorised the speak about the issue.

According to Times' sources, the Lakers had modified their offer to the Pelicans and were willing to trade Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Ivica Zubac to the Pelicans.

In addition, they had agreed to part with two first-round draft picks and to take Solomon Hill and his $US12.7 million ($A17.5m) contract along with Davis.

"They wanted more and more and more," a source told the Times.

"There was no more to give.

"They had cap-relief with Hill being in the deal but the more they wanted, the more it became outrageous and unrealistic."

Both the Times and ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the Pelicans were asking for eight draft picks.

Wojnarowski identified those as four first-round and four second-round picks.

But Wojnarowski cautioned that Johnson will listen if New Orleans come back with a counter offer.

In 41 games this season, Davis is averaging 29.3 points, 13.3 rebounds and 4.4 assists.

In addition to the Lakers, ESPN reported Davis would also entertain signing a contract extension with the Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks and New York Knicks.

Davis's agent last week said the perennial All-Star would not be re-signing with New Orleans and requested a trade.

Davis is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent in July 2020, so the Pelicans do not need to rush into a trade.

In the meantime, the 25-year-old Davis has recovered from a finger injury but the Pelicans' front office reportedly ordered him to sit out as rumours swirled before Thursday's trade deadline.

New Orleans are scheduled to play Wednesday night in Chicago.

Davis said on Friday in his first public comments since demanding a trade that it was "time to move on".

Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry told the media on Monday that Davis had been given the OK to practice but that activating him wasn't his call to make.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world