SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Lee Westwood in contention thanks to blast from the past

WATFORD, England (Reuters) - Two missed cuts and a poor Ryder Cup show prompted Lee Westwood to seek solace from some vintage displays captured on film and the blast from the past worked a treat at the British Masters on Thursday.

Lee Westwood in contention thanks to blast from the past
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Buoyed by a birdie three at his first hole, the par-four 10th, the former world number one shrugged off the wintry weather at The Grove to surge through the field with a four-under-par 67 in the opening round.

"I've been working on a couple of things on my swing, trying to get a swing thought, looking back at old videos when I played well and got in good positions," Westwood told reporters on the outskirts of London.

"I managed to implement that today. That's what golfers do, they try to remember what they did when they played well and if they have any video on it... try to remember what they were working on."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Westwood missed the cut at the Italian Open in the middle of September and at last week's Dunhill Links Championship in Scotland.

In between, the 43-year-old Englishman was unable to reward captain Darren Clarke for giving him a wildcard pick at the Ryder Cup, failing to win a point in three matches as Europe lost 17-11 to the United States in Minnesota.

Westwood believes he let down his good friend Clarke "a little bit" at Hazeltine National.

"I was a captain's pick and would have liked to have performed well for him," he explained.

Westwood, whose British Masters victory in 2007 is one of 23 European Tour wins he has achieved, said he had to tinker with his plans at The Grove due to the plunging temperatures in the south of England.

"It's cold... you've got to adapt and judge how far the irons are going to go," he added. "You can see on the range that the ball is not flying that far because it's heavy and wet and chilly in the morning."

A capacity crowd of 20,000 turned out for the first round thanks to free tickets dished out by the organisers.

"The British public are great at supporting events and this one is no different," said Westwood.

"It's nice that they are giving away free tickets... it's furthering golf hopefully to get people involved."

(Editing by Pritha Sarkar)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world