SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Leeds might sue ex-NRL hooker Segeyaro

Leeds are considering legal action against James Segeyaro over his decision to renege on his contract with the Super League club to remain in Australia.

Panthers player James Segeyaro
Leeds are considering legal action against James Segeyaro over his decision to renege on a contract. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

English Super League club Leeds have put a STG250,000 ($A427,000) valuation on James Segeyaro and are considering legal action over his decision to renege on his contract with the Rhinos to remain in Australia.

The 26-year-old is due back in England in January from an extended off-season break, but recently told Australian media he did not want to return to Leeds.

The Rhinos had maintained Segeyaro was not for sale but, on Monday morning, invited offers from NRL clubs for their hooker.

"Leeds Rhinos hooker James Segeyaro's decision to renege on the final two years of his contract to stay in Australia has resulted in the Rhinos' decision to place a valuation of STG250,000 on Segeyaro and to consider legal proceedings against him for breach of contract," the club said in a statement.

"The Rhinos have engaged legal advisers and are currently considering all legal options available to the club in relation to this matter."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Gary Hetherington last week expressed his disappointment over Segeyaro's comments after holding a positive meeting with the player and his manager in Australia.

The Rhinos' chief executive has accepted the club will lose Segeyaro, although not without a fight.

"We take this matter very seriously," said Hetherington. "James' decision has created a big problem for us and created uncertainty throughout our organisation.

"We are aware of the interest in him from a number of NRL clubs but we have our interests to protect as well and need to consider all avenues in this matter."

Segeyaro made a big impact at the Rhinos after joining them, initially on loan, from Penrith in July, helping them win nine of their last 10 matches of the season to comfortably retain their Super League status.

The Papua New Guinea international officially took up a two-year contract in September, removing a get-out clause at the same time, but now looked certain to join a NRL club, with champions Cronulla among the frontrunners for his signature.

Segeyaro joins halfback Chris Sandow, who walked out on Warrington despite having a year left on his contract, in refusing to return from Australia


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world