SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Liberty Media, FIA set to rebrand GP2 as Formula Two

LONDON (Reuters) - Formula One's new owner Liberty Media and the sport's governing International Automobile Federation are set to rebrand the GP2 support series as Formula Two, according to FIA president Jean Todt.

Liberty Media, FIA set to rebrand GP2 as Formula Two
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

In the latest edition of the FIA's Auto magazine, Todt said the aim was to complete a pyramid structure leading from karting through Formula Four, Three and Two to F1.

"Rationalising the pathway to Formula One has been a major goal of the FIA in my time here and the designation of a new F2 would achieve that goal," said Todt, who added that confirmation of the deal was imminent.

Liberty Media acquired GP2, which runs mostly as a support series to Formula One on grand prix weekends, as part of a takeover of the sport that was completed in January and led to the departure of previous supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Formula One's new managing director for motorsport Ross Brawn said last week that the sport needed to offer more over a weekend and could learn from MotoGP.

"I’d love to see Formula Two and Formula Three be part of the show, and to have those drivers coming up through into Formula One," Brawn told an audience attending a book presentation in Oxford.

"So you go to a race and see the young guys in Formula Two and Formula Three come through into Formula One, you get to know the names and support them.

"Any MotoGP fans know that... the riders work their way through and you see them in the lower formulae. We want to recreate that in Formula One."

GP2 has seen a string of champions enter Formula One, including Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, but recent arrivals like Max Verstappen, Daniil Kvyat, Esteban Ocon, Lance Stroll and Pascal Wehrlein have come from other categories.

The GP2 season is due to start in Bahrain on April 15-16.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ken Ferris)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world