SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Malaysia asks US for undersea surveillance

Malaysia has asked the United States for undersea surveillance tech after a near two-week search failed to find any debris from the missing Boeing 777.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Malaysia has asked the US to provide undersea surveillance technology to help in the search for the wreckage of a missing airliner.

The request came as a near two-week search failed to find any debris from the Boeing 777 that disappeared off the radar after taking off from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, Pentagon officials said on Friday.

In a phone call to Pentagon chief Chuck Hagel, Malaysia's defence minister and acting transport minister Hishammuddin Hussein "requested that the US consider providing some undersea surveillance equipment", Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said.

Hagel assured his counterpart that he would "assess the availability and utility of military undersea technology for such a task and provide him an update in the very near future", Kirby said in a statement.

Officials did not say what equipment the Pentagon might provide but the US military has invested heavily in robotic technology designed for undersea surveillance against enemy submarines or torpedoes.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The Malaysian minister thanked Hagel for the US Navy's assistance in the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared with 239 passengers and crew in an unprecedented aviation mystery.

Two US Navy maritime surveillance planes, a P-3 Orion and P-8 Poseidon, have been taking part in the search.

The P-8 has flown with three Australian air force P-3 Orions in a search of the southern Indian Ocean, in a region 2500 kilometres southwest of Perth, while the P-3 - which had been combing an area in the Bay of Bengal - is due to join the search in the southern zone, officials said.

A search effort on Friday of a remote stretch of Indian Ocean concluded "without any sightings", the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said in a statement.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world