SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Man, 71, kills US moviegoer over phone use

A 71-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in the US after a man was shot in a movie theatre when he refused to stop texting.

71-year-old Curtis Reeves
A man has been charged with second-degree murder after a man was shot in a US movie theatre. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A 71-year-old retired policeman has been refused bail after allegedly shooting dead a fellow moviegoer in Florida for using text messages with his phone, authorities in the US state said.

Curtis Reeves, a retired police captain from Tampa, was being held on suspicion of second-degree homicide after he opened fire on Chad Oulson, 43, on Monday at a cinema in Wesley Chapel, Florida, Pasco county judge Lynn Tepper said.

The police report said Reeves fired one shot from his .380 calibre semiautomatic handgun after the two men exchanged words over Oulson's use of his smartphone shortly before a screening of military action film Lone Survivor.

The victim's wife, Nichole, sustained a wound to her hand as she tried to stop her husband from being shot.

Local media reported that the men exchanged words over the victim's either texting or making a video call on his phone, and that the suspect had gone out of the theatre apparently to seek help.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Witnesses said Reeves asked Oulson to stop using his phone, and Oulson continued to do so.

Then when Reeves asked him again, Oulson threw his bag of popcorn at the retiree, who returned deadly fire, they said.

Gun ownership is common in Florida, where more than one million people hold firearm permits in a state with a population of 19 million.

Some media reports have said Reeves has claimed that he fired because he felt he was "under threat" apparently to justify his gunfire legally in a state that allows gun owners to fire if they are under threat under its "stand your ground" rule.

That was a justification heard in the case of George Zimmerman, who was acquitted last year of killing black youth Trayvon Martin in a case that sparked national outrage.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world