SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Man held over Stockholm suicide attack

British police have arrested a 30-year-old foreign national in Scotland in connection with the 2010 suicide bombing in Stockholm, Sweden.

stockholm_bomb_b_110309_getty_1181392236

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AFP


Skip to article content

The 30-year-old man was detained in a dawn raid in Glasgow on suspicion of "aiding terrorist activities" abroad, police said. Officers were also thought to be searching two other addresses in the city.

British authorities had been investigating any links to the Swedish attack, the country's first suicide bombing, following the revelation that the bomber, Taymour Abdelwahab, had lived and studied near London.

"At 06:05 am (0605 GMT) on Tuesday, March 8th, Strathclyde Police conducted an operation in the Whiteinch area of Glasgow," a police statement said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"This has resulted in a 30-year-old foreign national being arrested under the Terrorism Act. The operation centres on a previous incident in Sweden.

"It was intelligence-led and relates to allegations that this individual has been involved in aiding terrorist activities outside Scotland."

The statement added that there was "no evidence" to suggest the arrested man posed any direct threat to Scotland.

In Stockholm, Swedish intelligence police and prosecutors said they had cooperated with Scottish police in the probe.

"The arrest in Scotland is a result of the Scottish police investigation and a cooperation between Scotland and Sweden within the framework for international legal assistance, as well as a good cooperation between prosecutors and the police authorities," Swedish intelligence agency Saepo said in a statement.

"The investigation so far shows that there may be a connection between the arrested person and the terror crime in Stockholm on December 11, something the continued investigative work in Scotland will have to show," the statement added.

Saepo, which had previously said they suspected suicide-bomber Taymour Abdelwahab had worked alone, refused to say whether the arrest altered their probe or to provide any further details, saying all questions should be addressed to Scottish investigators.

The top Swedish prosecutor on the case, Agnete Hilding Qvarnstroem, was also tight-lipped about the probe.

Abdelwahab, a 29-year-old whose family fled from Iraq to Sweden in 1991, blew up himself and his car in an empty side-street off of Stockholm's busiest pedestrian thoroughfare, injuring two people.

Before the December 11 attack, he had lived in Luton, north of London. He had graduated with a degree in sports therapy from the city's university seven years earlier.

The connection sparked fresh soul-searching in Britain about how to combat radicalism five years on from the attacks on the London transport system in 2005, which left 52 people plus the four bombers dead.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world