SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Man on US death row freed after 26 years

A man who spent decades on death row in the US state of Louisiana has been freed after new information exonerated him.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A man who spent nearly 26 years on death row in Louisiana has walked free of prison, hours after a judge approved the state's motion to vacate the man's murder conviction in a the 1983 killing of a jeweller.

Glenn Ford, 64, had been on death row since August 1988 in connection with the death of 56-year-old Isadore Rozeman, a Shreveport jeweller and watchmaker for whom Ford had done occasional yard work. Ford had always denied killing Rozeman.

Ford walked out the maximum security prison at Angola on Tuesday afternoon, said Pam Laborde, a spokeswoman for Louisiana's Department of Public Safety and Corrections.

Asked as he walked away from the prison gates about his release, Ford told WAFB-TV, "It feels good; my mind is going in all kind of directions. It feels good."

Ford told the broadcast outlet he does harbour some resentment at being wrongly jailed: "Yeah, cause, I've been locked up almot 30 years for something I didn't do."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I can't go back and do anything I should have been doing when I was 35, 38, 40 stuff like that," he added.

State District Judge Ramona Emanuel on Monday took the step of voiding Ford's conviction and sentence based on new information that corroborated his claim that he was not present or involved in Rozeman's death, Ford's lawyers said. Ford was tried and convicted of first-degree murder in 1984 and sentenced to death.

Gary Clements and Aaron Novod, the lawyers for Ford from the Capital Post Conviction Project of Louisiana, said Ford's trial had been "profoundly compromised by inexperienced counsel and by the unconstitutional suppression of evidence, including information from an informant". They also cited what they said was a suppressed police report related to the time of the crime and evidence involving the murder weapon.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world