SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Manchester Arena attack: what we know

What's known so far about the terrorist attack at Manchester Arena that targeted young concertgoers.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

MANCHESTER ARENA ATTACK: WHAT WE KNOW

- 22 people, including many children, have been killed and 59 injured in the blast.

- The attack was carried out by a lone male suicide bomber who detonated an improvised explosive device. He died at the arena.

- He has been identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi.

- Security services are investigating whether he acted alone or was part of a network.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

- A 23-year-old has been arrested in South Manchester in connection with the incident.

- Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack.

- The first victim has been named as college student Georgina Callander. Eight-year-old schoolgirl Saffie Roussos was also killed.

- Speaking after chairing a security meeting on Tuesday morning, Prime Minister Theresa May said the "callous" attack was "among the worst terrorism we have experienced in the United Kingdom".

- A vigil was held on Tuesday in Albert Square, Manchester.

- The explosion took place at Manchester Arena as people began streaming from the doors after a show by US singer Ariana Grande.

- The injured - including 12 under the age of 16 - were being treated at eight hospitals across Greater Manchester, Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said.

- President Donald Trump expressed his "deepest condolences" to the victims and branded the attackers "evil losers".

- Extra police officers have been put on duty in London following the attack, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said.

- Andy Burnham, the Greater Manchester metro mayor, called the atrocity "an evil act".

- All national election campaigning was suspended after the explosion.

- A controlled explosion was carried out on Tuesday afternoon, as part of the investigation, at an address in Fallowfield.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world