SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Manchester United's Smalling taken to hospital in Bali

LONDON (Reuters) - Manchester United's Chris Smalling has been taken to hospital with food poisoning after fainting in Bali, although for a while it seemed the England defender might have suffered a more serious problem.

Manchester United's Smalling taken to hospital in Bali
(Reuters)

1 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

A picture of Smalling was posted on Twitter with a bandage around his head, a brace on his neck and a drip coming out of his arm.

The post suggested he had been hurt while having a surfing lesson while other reports said he had been stung by a jellyfish.

The truth, however, proved more mundane and the 26-year-old, who played for England at Euro 2016, has now fully recovered.

“Chris has had food poisoning during his holiday which resulted in him fainting yesterday. He was taken to the hospital and is now feeling fine," a United spokesman said on Monday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

(Reporting by Neil Robinson, editing by Ed Osmond)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world