SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Manson Family member paroled

A convicted murderer who was a follower of Charles Manson, Bruce Davis, has been granted parole in California.

1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A California board has approved parole for former Charles Manson follower Bruce Davis, but Governor Jerry Brown - who vetoed parole for Davis just last year - can stop his release.

The Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation says parole was granted for the 71-year-old Davis after a hearing on Wednesday at the California Men's Colony.

Davis has been in prison since 1972 for the killings of two men. He was granted parole in 2012, but Brown rejected it last March, saying he wanted Davis to reveal more details about the killings.

Brown spokesman Jim Evans said in an email on Wednesday that he could not comment beyond the parole board's statement.

The finding is subject to a four-month board review, then the governor has 30 days to act.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world