Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Marsh not too upset at missing BBL final

Perth Scorchers batsman Shaun Marsh will miss the BBL final after being called into Australia's ODI squad for the three-match tour of NZ.

Shaun Marsh of the Scorchers
Perth Scorchers batsman Shaun Marsh will miss the BBL final after being called into the ODI squad. (AAP)

Perth Scorchers batsman Shaun Marsh isn't too upset at missing out on Saturday's BBL final, and he's backing Hilton Cartwright to fill his shoes.

Marsh was in a worrying form slump before regaining his mojo at the right time of the season.

The 33-year-old cracked 57 against Hobart last week to help power Perth into the play-offs.

And his hot hand continued on Tuesday night when he scored an unbeaten 56 off 44 balls in Perth's crushing semi-final win over the Melbourne Stars at the WACA Ground.

The Scorchers have been hit hard by injuries this season, and they were dealt another blow when Marsh was called up for the ODI tour of New Zealand - ruling him out of Saturday's BBL final.

Marsh said one-Test allrounder Cartwright was well equipped to come into the side as his replacement, while Cameron Bancroft is another option up the sleeve of coach Justin Langer.

"It's just one of those things (that I miss out)," Marsh said.

"I'm going away to represent my country, and I get another opportunity in one-day cricket, which I'm really looking forward to.

"The boys will be excited about Saturday, and I'm sure they'll play really well."

Marsh has endured a turbulent past five months, with two broken fingers halting his bid to cement himself in the Test side.

But he has since won selection for the upcoming four-Test tour of India, as well as the three-match ODI tour of NZ.

At one point of the BBL season, Marsh had scored just 67 runs at an average of 11.

But Marsh said he never got too down on himself despite the lack of runs.

"I haven't felt too much pressure, I just haven't been getting away," Marsh said.

"It was just one of those things - I just kept on getting out.

"I felt confident. I was hitting the ball well. It was just about changing my mindset a little bit.

"I've tried to be a bit more aggressive early and look to hit the ball hard.

"I clearly wasn't doing that at the start of the tournament, and the last two games worked well for me."

Marsh earned the ODI call-up after selectors decided to rest David Warner and Usman Khawaja ahead of the Indian Test tour.

Marsh, who paid tribute to WA coach Justin Langer for helping him get out of his form rut, said he would take the opportunity with both hands.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world