Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Melbourne Storm told to seize the day

With Cooper Cronk set to depart at the end of the 2017 NRL season, coach Craig Bellamy has told his side to embrace the opportunity for another premiership.

Craig Bellamy
Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy urges his players to make the most of this NRL finals opportunity. (AAP)

Seize the day.

That's Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy's directive to his players as the Storm contemplate the post-Cooper Cronk era.

The masterful Queensland and Australian halfback will run out for his final home game at AAMI Park in Friday's NRL grand final qualifier against Brisbane.

The 33-year-old is poised to either retire or move to a Sydney club following the 2017 season to be closer to his NSW-based fiancee.

Veteran fullback Billy Slater's future remains up in the air as he weighs up whether to play on while Tohu Harris and Jordan McLean will also depart in the off-season.

It marks the end of an era in the Victorian capital with the "big three" of Cronk, Slater and Cameron Smith to break up after sharing a remarkable club partnership over the last 14 years.

Bellamy has told his minor premiers to embrace the chance they've created with no guarantees it will come around again any time soon.

"You talk about opportunities, we're not going to get to play again with Cooper in our team at AAMI Park and that's sad enough in itself," Bellamy said.

"It's more the opportunity - these guys have created a great opportunity for themselves this year. Now's the time to take advantage of that opportunity.

"Without putting pressure on the group, you don't get these opportunities often and you want to take them."

Storm winger Suliasi Vunivalu and forward Kenny Bromwich have both been cleared to play after being restricted to light duties this week.

The Broncos have also cleared skipper Darius Boyd (hamstring) to return while winger Corey Oates has passed concussion protocols after suffering a sickening head knock against Penrith last week.

Just like South Sydney in 2014, North Queensland in 2015 and Cronulla in 2016, there is a sense of destiny about the 2017 Storm side.

They are short-priced $1.26 favourites to beat the Broncos and $1.70 for the premiership after dominating the competition this year, winning 20 of 24 games during the regular season, including their past eight matches.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett bristled when asked if the Storm were overwhelming favourites to take out the title and whether his side were up against overwhelming odds.

"I haven't thought much about their situation," Bennett said.

"They have had a fair bit of success but look at all the success the Broncos have had."

STATS THAT MATTER

* Since 2011, the Storm have won 12 of 14 matches between these two sides.

* The Broncos have won two of the past three matches at AAMI Park.

* The Storm have a strong record against top-eight teams this season - winning 10 of their 13 matches.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world