SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Melbourne teen Cayleb Hough farewelled

Melbourne teen Cayleb Hough, whose remains were found in a mineshaft, has been remembered by family and friends as warm, considerate and gone too soon.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Melbourne teen Cayleb Hough's family and friends have remembered a beautiful young man who loved food, family and fun.

Police are still trying to answer how the sport-loving kid was killed, four months after the 17-year-old went missing.

His remains were discovered in a shallow mineshaft in the Lerderderg State Park in Bacchus Marsh last month.

On Friday, 450 mourners packed Noble Park's St Anthony's Parish - the same church where Cayleb was baptised.

Friends wore the black and red of his beloved Essendon FC while former junior football teammates laid a premiership medallion on the coffin.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Through tears, Cayleb's aunty Sheila Crespo remembered "a beautiful kid with so much love and affection" who showed a paternal nature from an early age.

"When his four sisters came along, the love he had for them would melt your heart," she said.

"Whenever his little sisters and cousins were with him, he wanted to carry them, hold their hand or push the pram.

Cayleb would have celebrated his 18th birthday on August 13 this year.

"We are all just so shattered and devastated we can not celebrate this big occasion with you and many more that were meant to happen in your life," she said.

Other speakers remembered a boy passionate about cooking - stemming from his Spanish heritage, and insatiable appetite.

After reading the story of the prodigal son, Priest Brian Collins noted that Cayleb left home in early December but was robbed of the chance to return.

Following the funeral service, Cayleb was buried in Springvale.

In the days before his funeral, Victoria Police revealed they had arrested two men in relation to his death.

No charges have been laid.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world