SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Misconduct case opened against Lula

Prosecutors have said they are opening a case against former Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva for alleged administrative misconduct and are seeking to block his assets.

aapone-20101204000282760850-brazil_lula-originallarge_1409175074

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AFP


Skip to article content

Brazilian prosecutors said Tuesday they were opening a case against former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva for alleged administrative misconduct and were seeking to block his assets.

Federal prosecutors asked a federal court to try Lula and former Social Security Minister Amir Lando for allegedly using public assets for personal benefit, from October to December 2004.

The ex-president and his one-time social security chief allegedly sent 10 million letters to older Brazilians to urge them to seek low-interest loans.

Prosecutors, who claimed a loss of about 9.5 million reais ($6 million dollars) for the state in sending the letters, said there was no public interest in the scheme, which they allege amounted to political self-promotion by Lula and Lando.

The deal announced in the letters, according to prosecutors, also allegedly benefited a private bank offering the loans that was linked to a corruption scandal involving bribes to ruling party lawmakers that rocked Lula's government in 2005 and 2006.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Prosecutors asked the accused to reimburse the funds spent on the mailing and postage, and asked for the two men's assets to be frozen until they are tried in case they are required to reimburse the state.

Despite the scandal, Lula was re-elected in the 2006 presidential polls, and served the remainder of his second term until 2010 with a historic approval rating of around 87 percent.

His anointed successor Dilma Rousseff took over the reins at the beginning of this year, after she largely won support in last year's general election due to Lula's backing.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world