SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

New Darwin detention centre announced

The federal government has announced a new detention centre will be built at Wickham Point in Darwin, to accommodate 1,500 asylum seekers.

Detention-Centre_B_Getty_695789128

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Darwin will soon replace Christmas Island as Australia's central place for housing asylum seekers.

Plans have been announced to add 19 hundred new beds to the Northern Territory capital.

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says this includes a plan for a new 15 hundred bed facility at Wickham Point on Darwin harbour.

The first 500 beds at Wickham Point are expected by mid-year, he said.

This will take Darwin's immigration detention capacity to almost three-thousand eclipsing Christmas Island's ability to hold 26 hundred.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison says the government is embarking on a detention bed binge.

An existing centre at Darwin airport will also be expanded.

The Scherger RAAF Base near Weipa in Queensland would continue to be used as detention accommodation for another 12 months, Mr Bowen said.

He said the expanded mainland facilities would relieve pressure on the Christmas Island centre.

Mr Bowen said work on the Wickham facility would begin in coming weeks, subject to final planning approval.

Case managers, mental health expert, medicos and interpreters would be available at this site.

The minister said the privately leased facility was more cost-effective, and had the support of the Northern Territory government.

Another 400 beds would be added to the Darwin airport site by mid-year.

By this time, asylum seekers would no longer be housed at Virginia Palms in Brisbane.

The Asti Hotel in Darwin would also cease to hold those seeking refugee status.

The government has also discontinued a previously announced contingency option of expanding the Melbourne Immigration Transit Accommodation to house more families and minors.

"The government's decision to move children and vulnerable families into the community makes expanded use of the facility unnecessary at this stage," Mr Bowen said.

He said the Weipa community supported the decision to have the Scherger RAAF Base house asylum seekers for another 12 months, until June 30 2012.

The base will not be needed for military uses during that time.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world