Kei Nishikori has allayed any lingering fitness concerns with a fighting five-set first-round win at the Australian Open.
The Japanese fifth seed battled hard to deny Russian Andrey Kuznetsov 5-7 6-1 6-4 6-7 (6-8) 6-2 on Monday to reach the second round.
Nishikori hadn't played since losing the Brisbane International final nine days ago after withdrawing from an exhibition event in Sydney last week with a hip injury.
The Asian superstar's three-hour, 34-minute marathon was in stark contrast to his next opponent's walk in the park.
Frenchman Jeremy Chardy only spent four games on court before Nicolas Almagro retired hurt trailing 4-0 in the first set of their first-round match.
News that makes sense
Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.
But Nishikori said he hoped to back up fine on Wednesday when he takes on Chardy for a place in the third round.
"I was feeling okay. Feeling really good after I got hurt in Brisbane and I think I was ready for play today," Nishikori said.
"(It was) unfortunate to play five sets in long match, but, yeah, should be okay for next one."

