SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

No Super Rugby for Hayne: ARU chief

Jarryd Hayne won't be playing Super Rugby next year, Australian Rugby Union boss Bill Pulver says.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Australian Rugby Union boss Bill Pulver has officially closed the door on any chance of Jarryd Hayne playing in Super Rugby next year.

The Waratahs announced earlier this week they would not be offering Hayne a contract and Pulver revealed the code-hopper and his management had made clear to the ARU his preference to remain in NSW - meaning approaches from any other Australian franchises wouldn't be entertained.

"That bird's probably flown," Pulver told Fox Sports News.

"There was an initial dialogue prompted by (Hayne's management) to see whether there was any opportunity to get into Australian rugby.

"He made it very clear up front his preference was to live in NSW, so we were just responding to the feedback he gave us.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"The Waratahs roster was pretty well full, so I think that opportunity's gone."

Waratahs chief executive Andrew Hore described Hayne as a "quick fix" and said it was a "watershed" moment for the province that they decided not to go down that path.

Hayne had approached the ARU to discuss the possibility of a switch to the 15-man code, but there have been suspicions in some rugby circles that the former Parramatta Eels star was using them in an attempt to drive up his asking price.

Reports on Thursday suggest Hayne could end up playing rugby after all - for French glamour club Toulon, who are said to be interested in signing the 28-year-old along with Top 14 rivals Clermont and Racing Metro.

"You're a little concerned when there are media waiting outside a meeting that has been organised by them," Pulver said.

"I guess that was a little bit of an issue.

"But at the end of the day, there's a chance he is signing up to play rugby in France.

"Certainly, the conversation I had was there was genuine interest in our game."

Hayne's hopes of a big contract offer from the ARU were essentially dashed the moment he ran out for Fiji in the London Sevens earlier this year.

That made him instantly ineligible to represent Australia and to receive Wallaby top-up payments from the ARU that would have supplemented his Super Rugby earnings.

"We wouldn't stump up any money - he can't play for the Wallabies, sadly. Four minutes for Fiji in a London event pretty well ruled that out," Pulver said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world