SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

NSW cop in court over accessing database

A Sydney police constable risked a maximum two-year spell behind bars to check up on a woman he had only met once, court documents indicate.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A serving Sydney constable faces possible jail time after he agreed to run a date's name through an official NSW Police database, court documents indicate.

Vincent John Wendelin, 35, faced the Downing Centre Local Court for the first time on Monday and pleaded guilty to a charge of accessing restricted computer data.

According to a statement of facts tendered in the case, the Professional Standards Command was investigating "a number of complaints" against Wendelin earlier this year and conducted an audit of his use of the Computerised Operational Policing System (COPS) as part of those inquiries.

It is alleged that one of the searches Wendelin ran was for a woman named Katy Tickner, who has since told police she met the constable via dating website eHarmony in 2015.

Court documents indicate Ms Tickner texted Wendelin on January 27 to ask if he had looked her up yet.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Ok miss, I'll check and make sure you are the cleanskin you are claiming to be ha ha," Wendelin is said to have replied.

The Professional Standards Command's COPS audit revealed Wendelin searched Ms Tickner's name in the database the following morning.

He later texted her again, telling her: "I noticed that when driving you occasionally feel the need for speed!"

According to the statement of facts, Ms Tickner later told officers she had only met Wendelin face-to-face once.

The offence to which Wendelin has admitted carries a maximum penalty of two years' imprisonment, or a $50,000 fine, or both.

Wendelin was placed on restricted duties in May and is next due to face court later this month.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world