SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

NSW under pump to find Scipione successor

The race is on to appoint a replacement for NSW's top cop, Andrew Scipione, who has announced he's retiring in early April.

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione
The race is on to appoint a new top cop in NSW with Andrew Scipione announcing his retirement. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The NSW government is under additional pressure to find a new top cop with Andrew Scipione announcing he's leaving the force in early April, some three months earlier than planned.

The commissioner had been due to step down in July but announced on Thursday his last day would be April 2.

The race is now on to find a replacement with the position to be advertised nationally.

Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn is unlikely to be given the job given the criticism she's faced over her actions during the Lindt siege and the phone-bugging scandal.

The latter also tarnished the reputation of former deputy Nick Kaldas who - although once a favourite to replace Mr Scipione - quit in early 2016.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Despite there being no clear frontrunner, Police Minister Troy Grant on Thursday insisted "we are well prepared (and) very confident that we will have the best person for the job".

Premier Gladys Berejiklian came under fire after revealing the position was only being advertised now but argued the government had previously "taken steps to start the recruitment process".

"Clearly there have already been processes in place to commence succession but obviously this morning we took that extra step of saying we're now accelerating the process," she said.

The NSW Police Association has previously criticised the government's inaction when it comes to appointing a new leadership team.

A PANSW draft letter to senior officers said it was critical for a new commissioner "to decide on the direction of the NSW Police Force", News Corp reported in January.

Mr Scipione on Thursday rejected suggestions he was stepping down early to avoid any criticisms that might be contained in the Lindt cafe siege inquest findings.

"I'm not going to pre-empt what the coroner's got to say but my understanding is (the findings) will be handed down before I finish (in April) - I would hope so," he said.

Ms Berejiklian commended Mr Scipione's work, saying he had "huge shoes" to fill.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull publicly thanked Mr Scipione for his service, stating "as a citizen of NSW you've kept me safe - as you have all of us here".

NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley used the announcement to again call for the government to abandon its plan to appoint a minister for counter terrorism.

Labor argues that will force the new commissioner to report to two ministers, creating "confusion and slower response times".

Ms Berejiklian on Thursday also revealed two additional deputy commissioner roles - announced in August - would be appointed by Mr Scipione's successor.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world