SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Number of missing rises to 28

The number of people missing following Queensland's flood crisis has swelled to 28.

Flood-Missing_B_Getty_20956331

1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The figure was revised down overnight from 53 to 20.

But Queensland Police deputy commissioner Ian Stewart said on Saturday it had been revised up to 28.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"There has been some volatility in the number of missing persons," he said.

"Police became aware of a separate list of missing persons compiled by the local council in the Lockyer area overnight, and we've been working hard to reconcile their list against ours.

"Unfortunately, our list has now got a registered 28 persons that we are investigating as missing persons."

The death toll from the floods remains at 16.

The missing are all from Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley, where a wall of water destroyed homes and buildings on Monday.

Grave concerns remain for 12 people, including 11 from two families at Murphys Creek.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world