Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Oakden families still want answers

The families of elderly patients who suffered abuse at an SA nursing home are unhappy key government ministers have been cleared in an independent report.

The families of elderly residents who suffered abuse at a scandal-plagued Adelaide nursing home are still hurting despite a finding of maladministration against five health officials.

Independent Commissioner Against Corruption Bruce Lander released his report on Wednesday sighting failures in clinical governance at Oakden and incidents of rough handling of patients, declaring the affair a "shameful chapter in the state's history".

But he cleared former health minister Jack Snelling and former mental health minister Leesa Vlahos of maladministration.

Stewart Johnston, whose mother was a patient at the facility, said he was not satisfied the ministers were absolved of blame.

"I believe that they are culpable, the bottom line is it is their job to know what is going on in their departments and the buck stops with the minister," he told reporters.

He said the report which revealed, for the first time, the full extent of issues at the now-closed home made him feel "sick".

"Most importantly it is blatantly obvious that our family members were treated like dirt by people who should have known better," Mr Johnston said.

Barbara Spriggs said her husband Bob Spriggs, who has since died, had been overdosed on prescribed medication and suffered severe bruising while a resident of the home.

"It is embarrassing to think we live in SA and such a shameful thing has happened in this state," Ms Spriggs said.

She said she was continually astounded no health authority picked up on the mistreatment earlier with the major investigations only sparked after her complaints in 2016.

"It was very dark and dingy, you had that gut feeling that stuff wasn't right there," she said.

Mr Lander made a finding of maladministration against the home's nursing director Kerim Skelton, service manager Julie Harrison, Oakden nurse Merrilyn Penery and health department officials Dr Russell Draper and Arthur Moutakis.


2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world