SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Ohio driver’s ‘I killed a man’ confession goes viral

A 22-year-old Ohio motorist dramatically claimed responsibility for a drunk-driving fatality and urged others not to repeat his tragic mistake, in an online video that went viral.

Killed_man.JPG

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AFP


Skip to article content

A 22-year-old Ohio motorist dramatically claimed responsibility for a drunk-driving fatality and urged others not to repeat his tragic mistake, in an online video that went viral.

"My name is Matthew Cordle and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani. This video will act as my confession," stated Cordle in the professional-looking clip that appears on BecauseISaidIWould.com

The 3-1/2 minute confession opens with sombre music and Cordle sitting in a dark room, his face obscured by pixilation, recounting how he "blacked out" behind the wheel after a night of "heavy drinking" then hit another vehicle in a wrong-way crash on an Interstate highway.

"When I get charged I will plead guilty and take responsibility for everything I've done to Vincent and his family," he said as the pixilation gives way to a clear view of his face and the camera reveals scars on his arm.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Cordle said "high-powered attorneys" had told him they could get him a reduced sentence, or off the hook entirely, if he agreed to lie, "but I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened."

The video ends with Cordle looking into the camera and telling viewers: "I'm begging you. Please don't drink and drive. I can't bring Mr Canzani back ... but you can still be saved. You victims can still be saved."

Alex Sheen, founder of BecauseISaidIWould.com, a donation-supported website where people can go public with promises, said Cordle approached him via Facebook last month with his story.

"I don't know Matt at all outside of this," Sheen told CNN, as the video surpassed 137,000 views on YouTube by mid-day (1700 GMT) Friday.

The prosecutor handling the case, Ron O'Brien, said he'll ask grand jurors Monday to indict Cordle on a charge of aggravated vehicular homicide, after receiving the completed police investigation Thursday, the Columbus Dispatch newspaper reported Friday.

If convicted, Cordle could face a prison sentence of up to eight years.

Canzani, 61, was described in his obituary as "a gifted photographer" who attended art school in Ohio and later served in the US Navy as a submarine missile technician.

Local news reports at the time of the accident said Canzani died at the scene of the pre-dawn crash, and that medical staff described the driver of the vehicle that hit him as "very, very drunk."

Every day in the United States, almost 30 people are killed in motor vehicle crashes that involving an alcohol-impaired driver, amounting to one death every 48 minutes, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

It put the annual cost of alcohol-related crashes at more than $51 billion and the total number of drunk-driving fatalities in 2010 at 10,228 -- about a third of all traffic deaths.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world