SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Paid ransoms haven't recovered data: US

Nearly $A100,000 has been paid in ransoms in the wake of the global cyber attack, but the US says it has yet to lead to the return of data.

1 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The White House says less than $US70,000 ($A94,262) had been paid in ransom in the wake of the global "WannaCry" cyber attack and that it is aware of no instances in which a payment has led to the recovery of data.

Speaking to reporters at a regular White House briefing on Monday, Tom Bossert, President Donald Trump's homeland security adviser, said that about 150 countries had been affected by the attack and more than 300,000 machines infected.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world