Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Pentagon plans sharp scaledown in efforts to train Syrian rebels

The Pentagon plans to announce significant roll backs in the U.S. program to back rebel factions in Syria, possibly shifting to more contacts with Kurdish forces that have battled the Islamic State, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Friday.

The change reflects widespread concerns over failures to mobilize a credible U.S.-backed fighting force among so-called moderate rebels opposing the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad, who is now supported by Russian military power.

Speaking in London, Carter said the United States was "devising a new approach" on the program to train and equip Syrian rebels in the more than four-year civil war. He did not give additional details, saying that an announcement was expected later in Washington.

U.S. officials have previously suggested that focus should move to aiding established Kurdish forces and other factions rather than trying to build separate U.S.-aided units.


1 min read

Published

Updated

By Brian Murphy

Source: The Washington Post



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world