SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

People smugglers jailed for 5 years

Four poverty-stricken Indonesian fishermen who brought asylum seekers to Australia on wooden fishing boats have been jailed for five years.

indonesia_people_smugglers_2004_B_PR--ImageAP_File_2038398954

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Four poverty-stricken Indonesian fishermen who brought asylum seekers to Australia on dilapidated wooden fishing boats have been jailed for five years.

Ferry Irawan, 29, Sali, 45, Joko Sampurno, 23, and Anton Tambunan, 29, were tempted by promises of cash in return for transporting 74 Afghani, Kurdish and Iranian men, women and children from Indonesia to Australia, the Supreme Court in Brisbane was told on Friday.

They each pleaded guilty to bringing non-citizens into Australia.

The court heard Tambunan, who earned just $20 a week in his home country, was paid only $300 to make the perilous journey.

The asylum seekers paid people smugglers in Indonesia and Afghanistan between $5000 and $15,000 for their place on a boat.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Prosecutor Glen Rice told the court Sali and Irawan were two of four crew members on a wooden boat that left Indonesia on January 21 last year.

It was intercepted near Ashmore Reef, off the northwestern coast of Australia, after 10 days at sea.

Sampurno and Tambunan were the only two crew members on board the second boat, which left Indonesia on February 20 last year.

It was intercepted near Christmas Island six days later.

The court heard both vessels were ill-equipped for the trip, with limited safety equipment, food and water.

One boat had only a compass and child's atlas by way of navigational tools and was dangerously overcrowded.

The court was told the accused men had only limited schooling and were lured by the hope that the promised money would help them feed and care for their families.

The court heard general deterrence was an important sentencing factor, as 141 boats had been intercepted in Australian waters since January last year.

Justice John Byrne sentenced the men to the statutory minimum, as designated by the federal government, of five years' jail.

The men will all be released after serving three years behind bars, when they will likely be deported.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world