SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Philippine rebels free 10 Indon hostages

The Abu Sayyaf Islamist militant group is still holding 13 people in the southern Philippines after releasing 10 Indonesian hostages.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Islamist militants in the southern Philippines have released 10 Indonesian hostages, ending a month-long ordeal during which a kidnapped Canadian held by the same group was beheaded after a ransom deadline passed.

The chief of police on Jolo island said the hostages, who were crew of a Taiwanese-owned tugboat intercepted by Abu Sayyaf rebels, were delivered to the local governor's home on Sunday then taken to an army base.

"They appeared tired but were in high spirits," said police Superintendent Junpikar Sitin.

Police and military officials said it was unclear whether or not a ransom was paid for the men.

The Philippines rarely publicises such payments, but it is widely believed no captives are released without them.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The fate of four other hostages from Indonesia held by a different Abu Sayyaf faction is unknown.

Indonesia's foreign ministry had no immediate comment on Sunday's release of the 10 detainees.

Abu Sayyaf, a formidable and brutal militia known for amassing tens of millions of dollars from the ransom business, is now holding 13 people, among them four Malaysian seamen and Japanese, Netherlands, Canadian, Norwegian and Filipino citizens.

John Ridsdel, 68, a former mining executive, was executed on Monday by the Abu Sayyaf, which kidnapped him and three others from a resort last year.

His head was found in a bag a few hours after the deadline passed and a torso was discovered two days after.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called it "an act of cold-blooded murder" and has urged countries not to pay ransoms.

The price for his life was 300 million pesos ($A8.40 million).

Philippine President Benigno Aquino has vowed to devote all his energy to eliminating the group before he steps down in two months.

But the group's network is deeply entrenched and efforts to flush out its fighters have proved to be a big challenge for the 2500 Philippine troops engaging them.

The lucrative business has allowed Abu Sayyaf, whose name translates as "Bearer of the Sword", to invest in high-powered boats, weapons and modern communications equipment.

With poverty and joblessness rife, it is able to recruit with ease.

Foreign ministers of the Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia are due to meet in Jakarta this week to discuss ways to work together to secure key shipping routes in the waters between the three countries.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world