PNG minister urges Manus detainees to move

The Papua New Guinea government is urging refugees at the mothballed Manus Island detention centre to move on, saying services cannot be reinstated.

The Papua New Guinea Immigration Minister says it's no longer possible to restore services to the Manus Island detention centre.

The Papua New Guinea Immigration Minister says it's no longer possible to restore services to the Manus Island detention centre. Source: AAP

Papua New Guinea Immigration Minister Petrus Thomas says it's no longer possible to restore services to the Manus Island detention centre, urging its inhabitants to leave.

Mr Petrus says it isn't simply a case of reconnecting the water or electricity at the mothballed facility, which was officially closed on Tuesday last week.

"There is no service provider to deliver services and more significantly, as services are available at the new facilities, there is no need for services to be reconnected," he said in a statement.

Advertisement
His statement comes as the PNG Supreme Court prepares to hear an injunction on Monday by local lawyers on behalf of detainees, which would effectively compel the PNG government to reconnect services, and to provide food and security, at the centre.

Roughly 600 refugees and asylum seekers barricaded inside the centre have run out of food, water and medication, but are adamant it's safer to remain than risk being attacked by locals at the new accommodation.

Mr Thomas says the security concerns of detainees has been taken into account, with increased measures put in place at the other facilities.

"Refugees and non-refugees should no longer have any security concerns," he said.

Voluntary relocation of the detainees "remains the government's preference".

"However, the government will not shirk its responsibilities and we are prepared to work with relevant authorities to ensure the needs of refugees and non-refugees are provided and they have access to necessary services."

Iranian refugee Behrouz Boochani, who is among those being held on Manus Island, says PNG immigration and health officials on Monday visited the centre to check on hygiene conditions.

Mr Thomas says the PNG government cannot continue to bear the cost of watching over residents at the mothballed centre.

Refugees had hoped Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull would accept a longstanding New Zealand offer to resettle 150 of them.

However, during a bilateral meeting in Sydney with his counterpart Jacinda Ardern on Sunday, Mr Turnbull said his government was focused on a United States resettlement deal to take up to 1250 people.

So far, 54 refugees have been resettled in the US.

Mr Turnbull will meet Donald Trump on the sidelines of the East Asia summit in the Philippines later this month and is facing calls to lobby for the US president to speed up the resettlement process.

Meanwhile, there are grave fears for the health of an Iranian refugee who experienced heart pain over the weekend.

It took PNG authorities more than four hours to get him to a hospital on Saturday and then he was sent back to the centre because it lacked adequate equipment.

Six detainees have died on Manus Island - including one who was murdered - since it was reopened in 2012.


SHARE
3 min read
Published 6 November 2017 at 12:46pm
Source: AAP