SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Pochettino watching Klopp's Dortmund to prepare for Liverpool

LONDON (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur's technical staff have been watching Borussia Dortmund videos rather than past Liverpool matches before they face the Anfield club at the weekend, Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino said on Thursday.

Pochettino watching Klopp's Dortmund to prepare for Liverpool
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Spurs will become the first team to play against Juergen Klopp's Liverpool in the Premier League since the former Dortmund coach arrived on Merseyside last week.

There have been no domestic matches because of the international break, so Pochettino and his assistants have been watching Dortmund videos from last season instead to gain a better understanding of the way Liverpool might approach the match on Saturday at White Hart Lane.

"I think it's very good for the Premier League that he has come here. He showed what he can do at Borussia Dortmund and we wish him all the best after Saturday," the Argentine said.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"When you are a manager like Klopp, who has taken his team to the final of the Champions League, you have the skill to realise, and to adapt, to a new culture."

Spurs have something of a score to settle with Liverpool, who have won the last five League matches between the sides, including 5-0 and 3-0 wins at White Hart Lane in the last two seasons.

And the London club are in good form.

Since losing 1-0 to Manchester United on the opening day of the season when Kyle Walker put through his own net, Spurs have gone seven league matches unbeaten.

Although they are eighth, they are only five points behind leaders Manchester City, who they beat 4-1 in their last home match on Sept. 26.

Spurs will be without injured midfielders Ryan Mason, Nabil Bentaleb and Son Heung-min, who will miss his third game with a foot injury after making a bright start at Spurs with three goals in his first five appearances since joining from Bayer Leverkusen in August.

(Reporting by Mike Collett; Editing by Nick Said)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world