SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Puel in the dark about Southampton takeover talks

LONDON (Reuters) - Southampton manager Claude Puel said on Wednesday he was in the dark about reported takeover talks between the Premier League club and Chinese company Lander Sports Development.

Puel in the dark about Southampton takeover talks
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

"I have no idea about the situation," Puel, who took over from Ronald Koeman in June on a three-year contract, told reporters ahead of Southampton's home Europa League match against Chinese-owned Inter Milan on Thursday.

"I give all my confidence to the president and the people at the club to do things in a good way."

There was no comment from Southampton on the Bloomberg report that Lander was in exclusive talks with the south coast club.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The agency quoted unnamed 'people familiar with the situation' as saying Swiss owner Katharina Liebherr had been engaged in the talks for several weeks and the price could be as much as 200 million pounds ($245.72 million).

Chinese buyers have become increasingly involved in English football, with investment group Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development Ltd completing a takeover of Premier League West Bromwich Albion in September.

Second tier Aston Villa, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Birmingham City are all in Chinese ownership.

Hong Kong-listed GreaterChina Professional Services Ltd, an asset advisory and advertising services firm, said at a news conference in Hong Kong on Wednesday that it had a non-exclusive memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Premier League Hull City.

($1 = 0.8139 pounds)

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world