SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Qld parents remanded over toddler's death

A Queensland couple have appeared briefly in court charged with the murder of their 22-month-old son, who has not been seen in 10 years.

Missing toddler Baden Bond
Two people have been charged with the alleged murder of missing Queensland toddler Baden Bond. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A Queensland toddler was killed by his parents at their Logan home in 2007 just months before they moved interstate, police will allege.

Baden Bond has not been seen or heard from in the past 10 years and no record exists of him attending any school or medical centre.

His parents Shane Arthur Simpson and Dina (also known as Denna) Colleen Bond were charged with the 22-month-old's murder on Thursday, a day after police made a fresh appeal for information.

Police will allege Baden was murdered at the family's Wagawn Street home in Woodridge, south of Brisbane, sometime between March 26 and May 17, 2007, according to court documents.

The family relocated to NSW in the August of the same year and Baden was not reported missing until 2016.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Bones found in the backyard of the Woodridge property during a search in 2016 are still being forensically examined to confirm if they are human and the results are expected in a few months.

Baden's parents had previously told investigators their son was being looked after by other family members and friends. He has never been found.

Simpson, 49, and Bond, 43, appeared briefly in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday despite requesting not to be brought into the dock.

They were remanded in custody and had their case adjourned to April 10.

Outside the court, Detective Inspector Damien Hansen said the focus of the investigation was now on finding Baden's remains.

"It's unimaginable that somebody could do that to a 22-month-old child," he told reporters.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world