SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Queensland floods inquiry set for day two

A flood operations engineer will be cross-examined and a weather bureau director will give evidence on the second day of the Queensland floods inquiry.

Stephen-Robertson_110411_B_AAP_1187063938

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A senior flood operations engineer will be cross-examined and a weather bureau director will give evidence on the second day of the Queensland floods inquiry.

The Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry got off to a fiery start on Monday, with Water Utilities Minister Stephen Robertson the first to give evidence on January's state-wide disaster.

He withheld some documents from the commission under parliamentary privilege, despite a pledge by Premier Anna Bligh that the inquiry would leave no stone unturned.

Mr Robertson later advised that privilege could only be waived by a motion of parliament, prompting the premier to say the government would move on the material as soon as possible and all government and non-government documents should be provided.

The inquiry heard Mr Robertson had raised the idea of a pre-emptive dam release months before Brisbane flooded, but by the time he got a formal response, the destructive deluge had already begun.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Senior flood operations engineer Robert Ayre will be cross-examined on Tuesday.

On Monday, he told the inquiry the flood operation centre's software was 15 years old and at the height of the flood crisis, power was lost to Wivenhoe Dam, creating problems with faxes and phone lines.

Mr Ayre said engineers used models based on no further rainfall when deciding what strategy to use for managing the dam, rather than models that factored in forecast rain.

The commission heard how engineers had to duck out to buy meals during their 12-hour shifts, had only mattresses to sleep on if floodwaters cut access to their homes.

Bureau of Meteorology Queensland regional director Jim Davidson will also begin his evidence on Tuesday.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world