SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Rabbitohs' Brown wants NRL career decided

Off-contract South Sydney firebrand Nathan Brown is hopeful he will finalise his NRL future with the Rabbitohs in the coming weeks.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

South Sydney enforcer Nathan Brown hopes to know his NRL future within weeks.

The hard-hitting forward is one of the last members of the Rabbitohs' 17 who remains off-contract headed into next season but Brown says he hopes to finalise a deal shortly.

"I'm dealing with it now," he told AAP on Friday.

"As a player you like to know what you're future is.

"I think Souths are talking to my manager now. I'll leave it up to him. I'm sure I will know in the next week or so."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

After arriving at Redfern from the Wests Tigers at the beginning of last season, Brown has enjoyed a breakout year in which he made his representative debut for NSW City Origin.

And while he has attracted a number of headlines for questionable on-field behaviour, including appearing to stomp on the groin of the Gold Coast's Agnatius Paasi, his old-school style of football has added much needed punch to the Rabbitohs pack with 18 tackle breaks.

He has also provided the second most offloads for the club this season and was one of the Rabbitohs few to strike form as the side slumped to nine straight losses.

And for the year he's had, the firebrand prop believes he deserves another contract.

"I've been pretty happy with my year," he said.

"As a team and as a club we haven't been happy with our performance but personally I've been happy with my season.

"I'd like to stay here but I understand that it's a business," he said.

Brown had been linked to Cronulla earlier this season on the move of South Sydney recruitment manager Grant Jones, however he said his agent hadn't contacted him to discuss a move to another club.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world