Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Rally in Djibo for kidnapped Australian doctor Ken Elliott

A full year after Australian doctor Ken Elliott was kidnapped by militants in Burkina Faso, his whereabouts remain unclear.

Burkina Faso residents rally for Dr Elliott
Source: Facebook

Residents of the Burkina Faso town of Djibo have held a rally for kidnapped Australian doctor Ken Elliott, a year after he was taken by militants.

Dozens of people attended the peaceful protest on January 15, calling for his release.

The 83-year-old surgeon had been running a clinic in Djibo in the country’s north with his wife Jocelyn, when armed militants seized the couple.  

Extremist Islamic group Ansar Dine later claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

“We still have a fervent hope that my husband will be released soon and we pray for wisdom for all those engaged in this endeavour.”

Mrs Elliott was released in February 2016, about three weeks after the pair was detained. Her husband has not been seen since.

On a Facebook page established to support the Elliott family, comments attributed to Jocelyn Elliot said she was hopeful he would soon be released.

“We still have a fervent hope that my husband will be released soon and we pray for wisdom for all those engaged in this endeavour,” she said.

“Our prayers continue for those holding the doctor and our thoughts are with the families of the numerous others detained in the Sahel, some being there for a lot longer period than my husband.

“May God in His mercy grant peace to all.”

According to media reports, Burkina Faso's Interior Minister Simon Compaore said in June 2016 authorities believed Dr Elliott may have been moved from Burkina Faso into neighbouring Mali. 

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said in a statement the government continues to work towards Dr Elliott’s release.  

“The Australian Government is working closely with other governments in the region to secure the release of Dr Elliott. DFAT has been providing consular support to his family,” he said.

The kidnapping came just a day after al-Qaeda fighters killed at least 27 people, many of them foreigners, in Burkina Faso’s capital of Ouagadougou.

Originally from rural Western Australia, Dr Elliott left school at 15 to work on the family farm, before training as a doctor and working at Fremantle Hospital as well as with the Royal Flying Doctor service based out of Kalgoorlie.

The couple moved to Djibo more than 40 years ago to set up a surgical hospital. It remains the sole medical clinic for a region of about 2 million people.


3 min read

Published

Updated

By SBS News

Source: SBS


Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world