SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Review called for private minister emails

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has called for an internal review of her ministers' email use.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has called an internal review of her ministers' email use. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Queensland's premier has called for a review of her cabinet's email use after the opposition accused Energy Minister Mark Bailey of using a private account to discuss portfolio matters.

It's understood the Electrical Trades Union contacted Mr Bailey through his personal email account to discuss matters relating to his ministerial duties.

Liberal National Party leader Tim Nicholls called on Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to explain what happened.

"Will the premier direct (Mr Bailey) to reactivate his account so any official documents can be archived in accordance with the law?" Mr Nicholls asked on Tuesday.

Ms Palaszczuk told parliament she had instructed her cabinet to disclose whether they were using private email accounts

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I am going to ask my director-general to review this issue with ministerial services," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"If the law says he (Mr Bailey) must relocate those emails, he must relocate those emails."

Mr Bailey said he deactivated the account after receiving the correspondence from the union to ensure people only contacted him through his official ministerial account.

"I have removed that possibility to ensure that I carry out my duties appropriately," Mr Bailey said.

"I deleted the account so my only email account is my ministerial account."

Ms Palaszczuk also played down documents tabled by the LNP showing ministerial staff from Housing Minister Mick de Brenni's office used private emails for work purposes.

She said those staffers had already been counselled and the incident reported to the integrity commissioner.

When asked by the opposition whether she had a private email account, and whether she used it for work purposes, the premier answered: "Yes, and no".


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world