SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Rock fishing safety steps after deaths

Non-English speakers need clearer information on rock fishing dangers to stop needless deaths, a Victorian coroner says.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Dangerous rock fishing spots will be signposted with clearer warnings after a coroner found the deaths of three fishermen in Victoria were entirely preventable.

Two Chinese nationals and a Cambodian man drowned when they were swept off rocks while fishing in separate incidents in regional Victoria two years ago.

Coroner Heather Spooner said people from non-English speaking backgrounds needed to be better educated about the dangers of rock fishing.

Warning signs at known danger spots also needed to be understandable to people who did not speak English.

"The three deaths of rock fishers in 2009 were entirely preventable," Ms Spooner said in her judgment handed down on Wednesday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

She said the fatalities highlighted the vulnerability of non-English speaking communities who were "grossly over represented in rock fisher fatalities".

Shida Li, 33, of Box Hill, drowned when a freak wave swept him off the rocks at Cape Schanck National Park on Christmas Day 2009.

Lianwei Wang, 43, of Kew, died after he was engulfed by a wave while rock fishing at San Remo, near Phillip Island, on December 30, 2009.

And Cambodian man Theam Heng Chheng (Chheng), 41, of Springvale South, drowned when he was swept out to sea from the rocks also at San Remo in August that year.

Ms Spooner said all three men may have survived if they had been wearing life jackets.

A new safety management plan for rock fishing prepared by the coroner's office calls for appropriate signage at rock fishing locations and an education program for culturally diverse communities about the sport's dangers.

It says fishers should be encouraged where possible to wear life jackets.

Emergency alarms and cameras will be installed at the two San Remo locations where the men died under a pilot program by Life Saving Victoria and Surf Life Saving Australia.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world